Altered Book/Book As Object Project
Altered Book/Book As Object Project
Self Portrait of the Artist as a Frost Giant (not really, but I do kinda look like it)
In progress, and damn oil pastels are temperamental!
Media Graphics Production, Project 5: Typographic Concert Flyer
In my opinion, classical music is tragically forgotten by this generation. I figure, for the purposes of this assignment anyway, why not give a moment’s consideration to the genre. I chose a simple and sorta classy font, emphasizing the first letter capitals in the orchestra name and program title for a little visual “oomph”.
While I was doing this I looked over at my bookshelf and realized that the color palette I was using is almost dead on for the colors of this old Catcher in the Rye book I have (red cover with aged yellow/tan paper). The red/orange/yellow analagous color palette has a warm, rich feel (sort of how baroque music sounds). I enjoyed the trick of dialing down a neutral orange and setting it behind and below the layer of the program title to give a little more hint of what music will be played. Another favorite part of this was the little details in the border. I picked a very dark complimenatry green rather than a black for the rectangular border, and a dark reddish brown for the treble clef. Using layer masks, I cut out little pieces where the clef overlaps the border. It’s subtle, but I liked the effect.
And, yes, there’s Doctor Who allusions in this. I regret nothing.
Media Graphics Production, Project 4: Abstract Color Pop Art
After a nice little respite in lieu of project 3, here’s project 4. I’m still getting acclimated to Photoshop after years spent mastering Gimp. As such, I have a feeling I went about this in a roundabout way. Each sector is individually manipulated by selecting the area above the image and manipulating color/contrast/saturation and all manner of other things. Who needs layer masks when you’ve got a way to make things difficult. Despite that, I feel that the final project achieved the desired effect.
The subject matter is a game die of the sort used in the infamous Dungeons and Dragons tabletop storytelling game. I’ve been too busy to attend any sessions of D&D at my local game store, and it’s making me more than a little sad (who’d have thought that a college student wouldn’t have time for a social life, huh?). To that end, I’ve used this subject matter and played with a goldenrod/blue-violet and kool-aid vomit red/radioactive demon snot green as a testament to just how weird life can get when you’re rolling.
Media Graphics Production, Project 1: Photo Repair
I used Photoshop to edit this image in an attempt to repair some serious damage. This was a real test of patience, there is no quick and easy way to fix this sort of issue. After a while of doing tiny repair work I started to forget the space around it only to go back and realize that I’d over-corrected in spaces. In the end I made the decision to mess with the levels and up the contrast in an attempt to mitigate the background.
Digital Art Final: The Tarot of Meme, part II
Digital Art Final: The Tarot of Meme, part I
Digital Art Project 5: Show Flyer
My final project for 3d… be afraid
Black & White: Four Elements in Ink
So, I got a major case of food poisoning at my friend’s birthday. As such, the manuscript panels for the Four Elements turned into me lying on the couch watching the Secret of Kells and whimpering at the unfinished panels.
Despite this, on Monday I devoted a big chunk of time to making this landscape. I’m not really the best at landscapes, but I have a lot of memories going to places like this with my family. This is based off a site in Washington that we used to go to, and after a picture I found online. The four elements are all found in the composition, and I used all the ink techniques we’d learned earlier in the week.
Digital Art Project 4: CD Covers
We got a random Wikipedia page and a random quote and a random picture and had to put them together to make a cd cover.
A day at the zoo for ART 1141